Friday, January 12, 2007

Stew

Perhaps because it's Friday, perhaps because we're gearing up for a bitterly cold weekend, I thought I'd share my recipe for beef stew. It is the best beef stew ever, hands down. I love making it on cold days, it's such a great way to warm up. It makes a ton and freezes well and only gets better as the days go by. Obviously use your judgement and don't keep it for too long without freezing it. This recipe has been in my family for at least a few generations, with my changes being the only ones I know about. Although it's a simple recipe it is absolutely delicious. Hope you enjoy it!

Beef Stew

1 1/2 - 2 lbs. beef brisket, cut into large cubes

4-5 large carrots, cut into big pieces

8-10 medium to large potatoes, cut into big pieces (this is something you can totally adjust, along with the carrots. If you like lots of potatoes, or lots of carrots use more.)

1 bay leaf

1 large can or 2 smaller (15 oz.) cans beef broth/stock

about 1/2 - 1 C. red wine

salt & pepper to taste

Dust the beef with a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Heat a large pot on medium-high and add just enough oil to lightly coat the bottom, about 1 tbsp. You will probably have to cook the meat in two batches, depending on your pot size. Brown the meat on all sides until it has a brown, cruchy exterior and the interior is still uncooked. Remove meat from pot. Pour wine into hot pot and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to remove any browned bits. Allow wine to reduce slightly and add meat back into pot. Pour in all the stock and supplement water if you need additional liquid. There should be enough liquid in the pot to cover the meat by several inches, plus enough to cover the vegetables when you add them. Add the bay leaf, turn down the heat to simmer and cover with a lid. Allow the meat to simmer for one hour, then add the vegetables.

The vegetables will take about an hour to cook. Again, depending on how you like them cooked this will determine when the stew is finished. But the most important thing is that the beef is very tender. There will be a period of time when the meat will become very tough and you will think something is wrong. Be patient. When the meat has cooked long enough it will fall apart easily with a fork and will be very tender to eat. I always let the stew sit for a couple of hours and then re-heat it before serving. For some reason it's just better that way. I serve it with a big piece of toasted bread, sometimes cornbread. For those of you who are curious, I added the beef stock and the red wine. My mom always made it with water only. I find the stock gives it a very nice flavor.

I'm thrilled it's Friday, even if it has been a somewhat sucky one. My weekend should prove interesting given the situation at home. Hopefully it will at least give me some good stories.

No comments: