Thursday, December 07, 2006

'Tis the Season - Ugh!

I love Christmas time. I love that Husband and I live where it snows and we're expecting some this weekend. I love the lights, I love decorating my house, I love baking cookies.

I HATE Christmas music. I hate that the day after Thanksgiving it's impossible to go ANYWHERE without hearing it. It's like noise pollution to me. I'm hearing it without my permission - an assalt to my ears!

Don't get me wrong, there are some Christmas albums I enjoy listening to. But I typically listen to them like the week before Christmas if at all. Odetta, Emmylou Harris, The Chieftans, I enjoy these. But the sacchrine, pop, bubblegum crap they play on the radio and in the grocery store makes me want to shove knitting needles through my ears.

Here I sit at work, the radio is on in the office. The station that it never changes from plays adult contemporary (my favorite!), you know these types of stations. During the holiday season, in addition to the joy of hearing my favorite Rod Stewart and Phil Collins classics, I get the special pleasure of hearing Madonna sing Santa Baby. This wonderful station came up with the brilliant plan of rotating in Christmas songs with their regular playlist. EVERY OTHER SONG. This is why I look forward to January.

No comments: