Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Repeaters

What's with people who repeat themselves? It drives me right up a wall. It's one of those personality traits I've never been able to wrap my head around. Do they forget they just said the exact same thing? Do they think I didn't hear them? In the last few weeks I've encountered many Repeaters for some reason. I've discovered there are several types of Repeaters.

The Beating a Dead Horse Repeater

This sort of Repeater will tell you the same thing like five times in a row. But they will change slightly what they are saying. For example, I was on the phone trying to get some information for a client. The woman I was talking to was explaining why she couldn't talk to me about the specific information I needed. The coversation went like this:

"I'm sorry but I won't be able to talk to you about this member's coverage. It's protected information."

"Okay, " I said, "What should I have the client do?"

"Well, you see, it's protected information you're asking for and I can't really discuss it with you without you being the broker of record, you know because of HIPAA laws."

"Uh huh, I understand that. So should I have the client call, or . . . "

"Since this is protected information and I can't discuss the details with you, the client should call and we'll be able to help him. I can't talk to you about it because of HIPAA and this is considered protected information."

Unfortunately the coversation continued in the same vein for several minutes. Don't get me wrong, the lady on the phone was polite and well-meaning, but come on! You only need to give me this information once. I hear it, process it and remember it in a matter of seconds. That's what my brain is for, that's it's primary function in fact. Unless I specifically ask you for clarification or to repeat what you just said, you can pretty much guarantee that I got it the first time.

The Lack of Short Term Memory Repeater

This type of Repeater will tell you something and several minutes later they'll tell you again. Now, this is a touchy one especially when dealing with the elderly or someone who's experienced head trauma. Sometimes there are valid reasons why people forget what they said just minutes ago. But for the rest of you who do this for no good reason, start taking Ginko Biloba for the love of God. I can't take it! You JUST said that. Do you think that my short term memory is as bad as yours? You don't need to give me the exact same instructions you just gave me. I remember things, very well. My mind is like a steel trap. I'm sorry that you have trouble with your's, but why should I suffer? Your repeating this information to me is only wasting my time and severely annoying me. Do you think I'm stupid to the point of needing to hear what you said more than once to understand it? Did I miss something the first time? Did you want me to laugh and I didn't? Were you expecting a different reaction and you think that by repeating yourself you will get what you were expecting? Help me help you.

The Story Repeater

These people I cannot stand. This to me is the worst form of Repeater there is. Because, without question, they are also Repeaters who will not stop even though you've told them you've already heard this story. In fact, you can even help them finish it and they still won't stop. There are two people I know who are perhaps the worst offenders in this particular genre of Repeater. One is Roommate, the other is banned from our house.
Roommate likes to talk about himself. It's sad on the one hand because you know that something happened somewhere along the line that he needs constant validation. So he talks and talks about himself as a way to prove that he's worthy of love, respect, whatever. The problem is that he keeps telling the same stories. And he's kind of a combination Short Term Memory and Story Repeater, which is even worse. Just the other night he told us about how he had to sell some furniture from the warehouse to pay the employees because the owner hadn't dropped off payroll. It was longer than that when he told it. The next morning everyone was waking up and whatnot (we had a big slumber party). And I was sitting with KB when Rommate sits down with us. He starts telling us the exact same story as the night before. So KB starts finishing the story with him, putting in the details and stuff. Roommate still continues the story, KB's contributions going completely over his head.
The other offender is the worst Story Repeater I've ever encountered. He is banned from our house because I can't take him. I just can't. It's like every combination of annoying habits in one person and I actually experience unwanted physical reactions to his very presence. Husband used to work with this Hillbilly and we've heard every story he has to tell more than once. Of course they're all about what a badass he is and how he's done everything and anything better than you or anyone. Not only is he a Story Repeater, he's also a One-Upper - a deadly combo. This jackass will not be interupted either. Believe me, I've tried. He tells his moronic stories in such a manner that he monopolizes the entire converstation of everyone present. He speaks so loudly that you can't hear anything else above his voice. And then . . . during the story . . . he will pause . . . very dramatically . . .

And wait . . .

Leaving the listener to wonder, is this the blessed end of this moron's ridiculous story? Can I go back to my previous conversation? What can I do to end this misery? So the listener, praying it's the end, will begin to say something like, "Great story, " or "Yeah, that's pretty crazy, " and without missing a beat and as if he is watching for cues that the listener is about to speak, One-Upper will start talking again, completely cutting off any comments or questions and will keep talking until he decides to stop.
You can tell him you've already heard the story, he just keeps talking like he didn't hear you. You can help him tell the story, he'll just talk louder to drown you out. The only thing you can do to escape is exactly that, leave the room, patio, area, neighborhood. But, as I said, he has been banned from the house so I don't get the pleasure of his stories anymore.

I'm sure there are other types of Repeaters, but these are the kinds I've encountered recently. I know that dealing with these people is almost certainly a test of my patience. I don't know that I've passed with flying colors. But then again, it's a very self-indulgent thing, Repeating. It assumes that your life, your stories, your experiences are somehow the most important thing to everyone around you. So please, if you are a Repeater or care about someone who is, baby steps to change. That's all it takes, baby steps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of the Scorcese flick "Goodfellas". The scene where Ray Liota's character introduces narratively the entire room at the restaurant. "And there was Jimmy Two-times"...he got that name because he was always saying things like 'I'm gonna go get the papers, get the papers'".

Consider mutual linkage with the DBOTD. Enjoyed this post.

you'dneverguess said...

Thank you. I enjoy your's every day. It starts my day with a smile. I'm still looking for some hillbilly douche bags to send your way.