Thursday, March 15, 2007

Us and Them

There are few things in this world that make me as upset as the government overstepping it's boundaries. For the record, I am a registered Independent, but I also embrace many of the Libertarian philosophies.

In 1996 the people of California voted to legalize marijuana for medical purposes. Now, I'm not going to address the ridiculousness of marijuana being illegal in the first place. The history of marijuana prohibition is an unfortunate blemish in the annals of America. You can go here to read about how the United States government came to despise the evil weed. I also won't discuss the facts regarding marijuana's status as one of, if not the, largest cash crop in the US, supporting many families who would live in abject poverty otherwise. I obviously support the legalization, or in the very least decriminalization, of marijuana. But what I also support is a state's ability to govern itself, and that's really what this argument is about.

In 1999 Husband and I attended the Million Marijuana March in San Francisco. In addition to smoking bowls on the steps of the federal building, we saw Angel Raich speak. It was extremely moving. Yesterday the Supreme Court decided that Angel Raich would still be subject to criminal prosecution for using marijuana, at the advice of her doctor, to keep her alive. She suffers from many chronic problems, not the least of which is a brain tumor. Because she has no appetite and suffers from chronic nausea, the doctor suggested that she use marijuana to combat these symptoms. Other prescription drugs she tried hadn't worked. This case has been in the nation's highest courts for several years. The decision that terminally and chronically ill people can't use a drug that eases their suffering because the federal government arbitrarily decides it's bad is just wrong. WRONG!

What is equally as wrong is that the federal government has ultimate control over individual states. It makes no sense whatsoever that states can pass laws, by an overwhelming majority, and the federal government can override the decision of that state. It's not only presumptuous on the part of the feds, it is a gigantic waste of time and money.

It is wrong for the feds to presume that they know what's best for a state just because they're the federal government. The people who live in the the great states of our nation have a greater sense, hopefully, of what they want done in their state. Since the people are the ones who live and work and pay taxes and contribute to the economies of their state, they should have a good idea of the types of policies and legislation they want. How does the federal government, thousands of miles away with it's own more pressing world issues to deal with, going to extend its' oppressive thumb to squash the will of the people of California?

And if the case is that states can't pass laws without the approval of the feds, then the whole system needs to change. Why should states waste valuable resources on bills, and voting, and legislator's salaries, and the subsequent litigation that occurs when the feds challenge a law? If states need approval from the feds, shouldn't that be the first step in passing a law? Shouldn't there be some system where all potential laws from all states receive approval from the federal government before the people can vote on them?

Well no, I don't think it should work that way. I think in reality it does work that way and the federal government does it's damnedest to hide that fact. The federal government has grown to a point that it can no longer be controlled. It's unfortunate that there are people who wish the feds would do more and be more involved in our lives. I feel very confident that I can make reasonably good decisions for myself. And when I fuck up I don't want the federal government involved. That's the last thing I'd want. I think there are services that the feds provide that are good and necessary. But that begs the question, could those services be even better if they were run by private organizations?

I'm not offering solutions because I frankly don't have any. My ideal life involves about 20 acres deep into the mountains, being almost totally self-sufficient and living off the grid. This isn't the life for everyone. My point is that I desire to live far out of reach from the feds. I just know that our current system of government is not working. Period. And it's getting worse. I have ideas about how it could work better, namely leave state decision making to the states. Fuck federal funding! But, I'm not a politician or a lobbyist or an attorney, the three most evil careers one could have. I've said more than once that if we got rid of all the politicians, lobbyists, attorneys and tele-evangelists the world would be a much different, and better, place.

Back to pot. I'm not a pusher and I appreciate people who don't want to smoke weed. I will never try to convince anyone that they should or should not smoke. But marijuana is like alcohol in that, it can become a problem for some people. People can form a type of addiction to it, though there is still no definitive proof that marijuana is actually addictive. But it can suck people in to the point where they become useless stoners, just like they can become useless alcoholics. I'm both a stoner and alcoholic, but I'm certainly not useless. Uselessness is not a good quality.

Here ends my diatribe.

9 comments:

Jon said...

Good post. I agree with you completely.

you'dneverguess said...

Thank you Jon.

Fairmaiden327 said...

Hi,

Mom found blog. Send me your email address to: fairmaiden327@gmail.com so I can send you an invite.

Maria

you'dneverguess said...

I will - thanks! I've been sad that I can't read it anymore.

Unknown said...

Very good post! I almost read it all, but I got high! Just kidding. About not reading it all, I am def. high. Anywho, the reason the Gov't decided weed is bad, is because they don't stand to make any money off the cash crop.
Now, if Phillip Morris would decide to start making them and the Gov't could get their greedy little hands on some of the cash. It might be a different story.
"People are dying and that is the only thing that will help! We can't tax it, so It's still illegal"

Michael C said...

Well said. You would not believe all of the medications I am currently on at the age of 33. I often wonder if there is another alternative.

Because I like history, I often wonder what the Founding Fathers would think of our government these days...

Steven said...

I'm not an alcholoic or a stoner and I'm incredibily fucking useless. ;)

Steve~

you'dneverguess said...

ED - that's it exactly. That's why I'm on the fence about legalization. When the government figures out a way to make money, they'll legalize it and I don't think I want that to happen.

Michael - geez, I wish I knew what to say. It must be all kinds of awful to be on so many meds. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you can find an alternative. I hope you're not in an awful lot of pain. I think the Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves, definitely disappointed.

Steven - you don't seem that useless. Look at how much you help Tami with her various medical conditions.

123Valerie said...

Even as an avid drinker, I favor much stricter alcohol laws and loosening pot regulations--if only for the tax revenues. We could feed a lot of people with that money.