Friday, November 03, 2006

Stuck in a Rut

I think I'm suffering a crisis of sorts. Perhaps not a crisis exactly, but I'm in a funk. I feel as though I've wasted my life in certain ways and I have a general feeling of dissatisfaction. These feelings are strictly focused on my professional life, however. I think the one great decision I made was marrying my husband. Aside from that, I'm scratching my head.
Husband has already pointed out that I've accomplished many things in my life. Well, yes I suppose I have. But so far I'm not feeling fulfilled with my career decisions. My blessed parents sent me to a private university, which I graduated from, probably with the hopes that I would make some impact on the world. But alas, my private education, while excellent, did not assist me in obtaining a dream job. Put it this way, I made more money when I worked at Starbucks than I do now. That was 8 years ago! Where did I go wrong? Well, now I'm self-employed, I'm an independent contractor. Except, in my world, an independent contractor is paid for services rendered. If I can get my job done in 3 hours versus 8, better for me. As long as the job is done to the client's specifications and is what the client expected, I get paid. However, I'm kind of a one-client show. I have an exclusive contract, so to speak. So, there again, I get paid based on a specific set of tasks that I'm responsible for. When I made this arrangement with my exclusive 'client' I gave him a great deal for my services. Unheard of, really. I did this because of many reasons, but mainly because I thought I would be working with him for the rest of my life. And based on conversations we've had, he would eventually need me on a full-time employee basis, at which time I would be well taken care of.
Isn't it funny how things change? Now my exclusive client wants me on an employee basis but doesn't want to pay me for it and wants to keep pretending that I'm still an 'independent contractor'.
It's not really about the money. Sure, I'd like to make more than I do now, but that's not it really. I want to be compensated FAIRLY for the work that I'm doing. And I don't want to be fucked with. If you want to hire me on full-time to guarantee that I'll be in the office everyday for a specified number of hours, let's negotiate. But don't give me shit because I don't come in everyday when I can work from home as well. Why should I drive 60 minutes daily, get paid this shitty salary, listen to you complain about me not being in the office everyday, just so you can have the "security" that I'm in the office in case something comes up? Gosh, who am I talking to? Whoa, okay, back to it not being about the money.
Really, it's not. I really just want to enjoy what I do, and I'm not sure I do anymore. There are so many things that I want to try, regardless of how much I get paid. I've never been a waitress, a bartender, a teacher, an exotic dancer (Husband has already said 'no' to that one), lots of things. I think it would be amazing to try on different jobs for a while. It would certainly get me out of this rut.

No comments: