Wednesday, February 07, 2007

In It For The Money?

I've been reading, as per usual, my daily gamut of blogs today. I was directed to an article via Opinionista's blog that discusses anonymity amongst bloggers. One of the quotes from the still anonymous Waiterrant.net was that every blogger is in it for the money, or at least the pursuit of it.

This puzzles me. While I've gathered that many bloggers are also aspiring writers, some in the midst of book deals and chapter completion, is this really true of all of them? This startling revelation has caused me to question why I post here, why I started writing this blog.

In truth I find writing to be very therapeutic. I have thoughts, ideas, rants, stories to get out of my head, and writing helps me to do that. My head will sometimes become very cluttered with both the mundane and serious crap of daily life. I need an outlet for all of that crap. I didn't start writing this because I thought anyone would actually read it. Much like my tattoos, it's a very personal expression.

So the fact that anyone at all reads this is fascinating to me. I'm certainly glad to entertain people with my stories and my life. I hope that you gain some sense of personal satisfaction that you aren't living it. Just kidding, it's not bad at all. Some of my posts I would consider to be boring and mediocre writing at best. Maybe I should begin to put more effort into my writing. Start drafts and have them proofread prior to publishing them. Maybe then I would earn the respect and admiration of the blogging community.

WTF?! I couldn't imagine doing this for someone other than myself. Much like singing, it's something I truly enjoy doing. To do it for the purposes of compensation would destroy my love of it. It warms my heart to think that someone enjoys reading what I post here. Just as it warms my heart that people enjoy hearing me sing. That is compensation enough for me. So please count me out of "every" blogger, I'm an entity unto myself and I don't do this for the money.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah. i'm in it for the money. i've made millions of dollars by talking about douche bags. everyone should blog...it's SOOOOO lucrative.

you'dneverguess said...

I figured as much Oms. I mean, how could you NOT make millions, especially in a blog genre such as yours?
I found the quotes in that article to be self-important, arrogant bullshit.
Promise me that even if you do make millions, you'll still keep yours up. It seriously gets me through the day sometimes.

Anonymous said...

i have to keep this shit up now, yng. it gets very difficult at times trying to say the same thing a different way about douche bags. alas, i press forward, in spite of the toll it has taken on my mental health.

you'dneverguess said...

But see, that's what so good about you. Every day, even though you are saying essentially the same thing, you put a new and hillarious spin on it. If I'm in the office, forgetaboutit. I have to physically contain my laughter. You have a gift and a witty and brilliant mind. And exposing the evils of douchbaggotry is tantamount to sainthood in my book.

avocadoinparadise said...

Practice writing is valuable as personal growth, I think. And it's a heck of a fun thing to see where in the world people are viewing your blog. Sitemeters are great.